Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Expo and the Race

This sign was outside the Armory where the expo was held the day before the race. Of course, it provided the perfect backdrop for some photos!
Jess and Craig

Jess and Nancy

Jess and Nancy

We stopped for a late lunch salad at Union Station

Then we had some wonderful pasta the evening before the race!
Nancy, Aunt Gay, Craig, and Uncle Bill

The START line as the sun is coming up the morning of the race!!
The morning started around the mid 40*s, but quickly warmed with full sun and a beautiful blue sky with temps reaching around 75*. The first half of the race was full of spectators and lots of neat landmarks to enjoy. I really had a great half-marathon race, just a totally enjoyable run! My ankle really didn't bother me too much more than the rest of my body. Around mile 18 and 19 my pace really fell and I could really tell that I had taken the past 6 weeks off and hadn't trained to 20 miles like I was supposed to. The last 5 miles were really rough and I was so extremely glad to find that last mile. My spirits rose that last mile and I felt so much relief to finally be done!
When I first decided to run a second marathon, I was really hoping to finish around 4 hours. (I finished the Chicago Marathon in 4:38.) I was pretty much on pace in DC until mile 18 with my finishing time being 4:26. I'm disappointed that it wasn't closer to 4 hours because I still think I'm capable of a better time, but I really don't see myself attempting a marathon anytime in the near future.
I ran last night for the first time since the race. I could tell that my quad muscles are still repairing and the my ankle is still tender. I went back to my sports chiropractor today and she still recommends rest and ice. She said that according to where my pain and tenderness is she is still surprised that it wasn't a stress fracture.

No comments: