Saturday, August 16, 2008

19 miles

Today was probably my best run yet. We got an early start around 6 and the run took about 3 1/2 hours. Instead of diluting my energy gels in my water, I took them straight at 1 hour and 2 hours. I almost did a 3rd gel at 3 hours, but I felt pretty good. I tried a new flavor - chocolate and it was good!

We parked at ISU's campus. By the time we made it back, campus was buzzing with students moving in. We ran on Heritage Trail again and there was a ton of trail traffic! There were a lot more runners than we have ever seen, including a cross country team. It was nice to see a lot of people out on such a beautiful morning.

I have felt better today post-run than previous weeks. I always have a pretty severe headache the afternoon after the run. Today I am sore, but feel much better in general, with no headache. The temperature was less than 60 degrees when we started, so I wasn't drenched head to toe like usual. Craig was actually pretty cold the whole time!

I usually hit a point on my Saturday runs where I get really down. I start falling apart mentally thinking that I can't finish my run, let alone run a full marathon. I'm sure Craig can attest to my crankiness and bad attitude. Today that mentality only really started during the last mile and wasn't as severe. Overall, today was good. I only train up to 21 miles and that is in 2 weeks.

No comments: