Saturday, July 12, 2008

Goal: 13 miles

I set the alarm for 6, but I could here thunder...so my run didn't start until after 8:45. It was nice to sleep in a little! The humidity was about 90% and it was warm. The sun started coming out around 6.5 miles and I got pretty discouraged by the way I was feeling and I was only half way through my run! I kept trying to turn my negative thoughts into encouragement when I finally realized that 6.5 miles is only a 1/4 of the marathon! This actually was a good realization. I really need to keep the bigger picture in mind. The end goal is to survive 26.2 miles.

The 3 times I have ran 13 miles were races. I have run the Indy mini twice with 35,000 other people and another smaller race, running most of it with Eric, my brother-in-law. I felt unsure that I could do the 13 miles today...let alone a full marathon in 3 months. One of the ways that being a charity runner for the American Cancer Society has helped is that it helps me keep things in perspective. Someone that is dealing with fighting cancer has to endure treatments, the emotional toll, many unthinkable aspects. Comparatively, I KNOW when my pain is going to end, as soon as I get done with my run. It is great to know that my training to run the marathon has a greater purpose other than just personal goals.

I was grateful to have Craig ride with me for the first 10 miles. I was also thankful for the rain that cooled me off and broke the humidity a little. Next week I will have less mileage, with only 8 miles next Saturday. I hope to have a water belt and try out some energy gel in 2 weeks for a 15 mile run.

1 comment:

Dana Gray said...

Pretty amazing to see your progress at the far right of the blog! Very impressive!!